August 24th is the 165th birthday of the potato chip. Our Original Saratoga Chips where America’s First Kettle Chips and in celebration we want to share some of our favorite potato chip facts:
- Laura Scudder created the first modern bag of potato chips in 1953. Previously, they were sold out of wooden barrels or scooped from behind glass counters.
- Potato chip bags are not full of air. Rather, they are filled with nitrogen gas. The nitrogen prevents the chips from oxidizing, or turning stale.
- The sound of crunching adds to the pleasure of eating chips. Snackers who eat chips with headphones on report becoming bored with chips more quickly.
- On September 13, 2013, Corkers Crisps in Pymoor, UK, created the largest bag of potato chips on record: 2, 515 lb. 7.52 oz. (1,141 kg).
- Worldwide, the market value of potato chips is anticipated to reach $40.3 billion by 2022.
Making 2,500 pounds of potato chips requires 10,000 pounds of potatoes.
- The United States leads the world in potato chip consumption. Americans eat about 1.85 billion pounds of potato chips, or about 6.6 pounds per person annually
- Roughly 28,000,000 pounds (13,000,000 kg) of chips are eaten during the Super Bowl.
Barbeque chips were the first type of flavored potato chip.
- The most popular potato chip flavor in America is plain.
Did you know that research shows crunchy potato chips taste better???
When it comes to picking potato chips, everyone has their favorite flavor. Research published in Food Quality and Preference highlights why certain chips appeal to different people… the clue is in the crispness. Using plain, cheese and spicy flavored potato chips, the study found that flavors were more intense and maximum flavor perception occurred quicker as the crispness of the chips increased.
We always knew that our crunchy kettle chips are truly delicious!!!